CREAMY, GARLIC POTATO BAKE
This recipe was inspired by my mothers potato bake which has always been a family favourite. She traditionally makes hers with thickened cream and bacon, so I have veganised it, I hope you enjoy it because it has become a staple side dish in my household now. (sorry mum,but it's better than your animal product filled one, love you still)
- ~800 g POTATO
- 2 tbsp VEGAN BUTTER I USE THE BRAND 'NUTTELEX'
- 1 ONION
- 3 tsp MINCED GARLIC
- 2 tsp FLOUR I USE PLAIN FLOUR
- 1 tbsp PARSLEY I USE DRIED, BUT FEEL FREE TO USE FRESH PARSLEY AND CHOP IT FINE
- 1 tbsp ROSEMARY I USE FRESH, THE FLAVOUR IS A LOT STRONGER
- 300 ml UNSWEETENED SOY MILK
- 1/2 tsp SALT
- 1/4 tsp CRACKED BLACK PEPPER
PEEL POTATOES AND SLICE THEM TO ~ HALF A CENTIMETRE IN THICKNESS.
PREHEAT OVEN TO 180 DEGREES CELSIUS
BRING A SAUCEPAN TO MEDIUM HEAT ON THE STOVE AND MELT BUTTER
ONCE BUTTER IS MELTED, ADD GARLIC, ONION, PARSLEY AND ROSEMARY AND SAUTE UNTIL THE ONION IS TRANSLUCENT.
ADD FLOUR AND MIX TOGETHER UNTIL COMBINED.
ADD THE UNSWEETENED SOY MILK AND WHISK UNTIL COMBINED AND IT HAS BEGUN THICKENING UP. TAKE OFF THE HEAT WHEN THE MIXTURE IS SIMILAR TO THE TEXTURE OF THICKENED CREAM.
ADD SALT AND PEPPER, MIX IN.
IN A BAKING DISH LAY THE POTATO SLICES ACROSS THE BOTTOM AND TOP THEM WITH SOME OF CREAMY SAUCE (ENOUGH TO COVER THEM), THEN LAYER MORE POTATO ON TOP OF THE FIRST LAYER, THEN ADD SAUCE AND CONTINUE THE PROCESS UNTIL YOU'RE OUT OF POTATO AND SAUCE.
COVER WITH ALUMINIUM FOIL AND BAKE IN THE OVEN FOR 45 MINUTES
AT 45 MINUTES, REMOVE THE ALUMINIUM FOIL AND CONTINUE TO BAKE FOR 10 MINUTES.
LET COOL FOR 5-10 MINUTES BEFORE SERVING.
- A smaller dish works best for this recipe. The bake is much more enjoyable if there are more layers of potato. I recommend at least 3 layers of potato.
- Feel free to top the potato bake with breadcrumbs at the 45 minute mark and bake a crispy layer on top for that final 10 minutes of cooking time.