VEGAN CUSTARD TART RECIPE:
2 tbsp of Custard Powder (I use a brand called Lion and use the vanilla custard packet which is ‘accidentally vegan’)
500 ml almond milk
2 tbsp sugar
125g Plain Flour
60g Vegan Margarine or Butter Alternative
50g Icing Sugar
**preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius**
1. Combine flour and sugar, mix until combined.
2. Add ‘butter’ and mix thoroughly with your hands until it becomes a crumb consistency but ensure there are no large lumps of the butter remaining.
3. Bring the mixture together to form a dough; add water if the mixture is too dry and add flour if it is too wet.
4. Wrap the dough in Cling Wrap and chill in refrigerator for 10-15 minutes.
5. Once chilled, it is ready to use. roll out the dough to desired thickness (I prefer ~ 1/2cm-1cm in thickness for this recipe.
6. Cut out the shapes needed to fill whatever tart tin you are using. If just using a muffin pan, use a glass to stencil out a circle and then place cut outs in the muffin tins.
7. Place tart in oven for 15 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius.
8. Remove tarts from oven and let cool.
1. follow the packet instructions for the custard.
2. Once the tart case has cooled, pour the custard in to the cases until the custard reaches near the top.
3. Top with a sprinkle of nutmeg.
4. Bake tarts for a further 10 minutes at 160 degrees Celsius.
5. Remove tarts from oven and chill them in refrigerator for 2 hours to set.